Braces are the appliance that people most often associate with orthodontic treatment. The small metal brackets and metal arch wires affixed to your teeth and the elastic bands or ligatures attached to them— all function to correct your tooth and jaw alignment.
Most people get braces in their early teen years, but braces can give you a healthy, beautiful smile at any age.
The Benefits of Braces
Orthodontic treatment with braces provides several significant benefits:
- Better oral health. Improving tooth alignment will make it easier for you to properly brush your teeth. As a result, you will be at a lower risk of cavities and gum disease. Better brushing can help your breath, too.
- Improved digestion. Believe it or not, tooth alignment affects how well you chew your food. When you correct alignment issues, you can chew more effectively — improving your digestion and your overall health.
- Clearer speech. Your teeth play an integral role in how you speak. Correct tooth alignment facilitates proper pronunciation. Others will find it easier to understand you.
- Lower risk of dental injuries. When you have crooked, overcrowded teeth or teeth with gaps, you increase your risk of dental damage. Correcting these problems can help protect your teeth from cracks, chips, and other harm.
- More confidence. Straighter teeth can improve the overall appearance of your smile — which, in turn, can provide you with a much-needed confidence boost.
Am I Too Old for Braces?
While most patients who get braces are preteens and adolescents, adults can certainly benefit from the treatment as well. In fact, braces can be effective in people of any age.
When it comes to braces for adults, there’s one thing to keep in mind. Braces work by putting pressure on the teeth — forcing them to shift gradually into proper alignment. The jawbones of younger teens are still soft, making it easier to shift the teeth. As an adult, your jaws are denser. So, braces will work, but it may take a little longer to achieve the desired results.
An Alternative to Traditional Braces
If a lengthy treatment with highly visible metal braces doesn’t appeal to you, you might consider an alternative.
Invisalign achieves the same goals as traditional braces. Instead of brackets and wires, however, the treatment uses clear, thermoplastic aligners. It’s a more discreet solution to achieve straighter teeth and a more confident smile.
What’s more, Invisalign treatment may take less time than metal braces. If this sounds to you like a better option, your Las Vegas orthodontist can help you determine if you are an ideal candidate.
Achieve a Healthier, More Beautiful Smile at Any Age
If you’re looking to improve the health and appearance of your smile, braces from a qualified Las Vegas orthodontist are an outstanding solution. The great news is that you’re never too old to get them. But, if you’re not keen on the idea of wearing metal on your teeth for the duration of your treatment, Invisalign may provide a more discreet alternative. Either way, you can achieve the smile you’ve always wanted.
Are you ready for a healthier, more confident smile? Contact Hansen Orthodontics today to schedule your free consultation. Find out if braces or Invisalign are right for you.