Your smile plays a massive role in the first impressions you make. But if your teeth are dull, yellowed, or stained, you might not feel like smiling very much. You might try to hide your smile behind tight lips or your hand. While seemingly small, these actions speak volumes, and they impact how others see you.
If you’re looking to restore the natural bright white color of your teeth, teeth whitening can help. A common question we get is, “How long does teeth whitening last?”. Your Las Vegas orthodontist is here to fill you in.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening improves the color of your teeth by several shades. Some significant benefits of the procedure include:
- It improves the overall appearance of your smile.
- You gain greater confidence.
- It can knock a few years off your appearance.
- It’s an affordable, non-invasive procedure.
- Professional whitening provides you with personalized results.
How Is Teeth Whitening Done?
Dr. Hansen in Las Vegas offers you two options for professional teeth whitening.
- Take-home whitening trays let you brighten your smile from the comfort of your own home. We provide you with custom-fit whitening trays, whitening gel, and instructions for use. With this method, you’ll see results gradually, but you have the advantage of whitening your teeth at home.
- Laser whitening treatment in the office starts with applying a whitening gel to your teeth. Afterward, we expose your teeth to a state-of-the-art light that activates the gel and starts working right away. The procedure takes about an hour, and you’ll see dramatic results almost instantly.
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last?
Now on to the big question: How long does teeth whitening last?
Teeth whitening is not a permanent solution. With proper care, you can expect to see results last upwards of two to three years. Of course, the exact length of time your teeth will maintain their pearly brightness depends on several factors.
Here are some tips to help your teeth remain whiter for longer:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Drink through a straw.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned every six months.
- Consider touch-up whitening appointments.
What Affects the Longevity of Your Results?
What can affect how long your teeth whitening lasts? One thing that could cause stains to return is certain foods and drinks. Avoid (or at least limit) foods and drinks that typically cause stains, such as:
- Red wine
- Tomato sauce
- Sugary foods
If you choose to partake in these foods or beverages, be sure to brush your teeth afterward to reduce the risk of staining. Also incorporate foods that help keep your teeth bright.
Another habit that could impact your teeth whitening is smoking. Certain chemicals in cigarettes cling to teeth, leaving deep yellow or brown stains. If you’re considering teeth whitening, you should consider quitting smoking on top of following the tips above to ensure your results last as long as possible.
Are You Ready for a Brighter Smile?
Professional teeth whitening can brighten your teeth by several shades, giving you a more beautiful and confident smile. While teeth whitening is not a permanent treatment, proper care can ensure long-lasting results.